Friday, November 21, 2008

Some People CAN Change...but for how long??

I have vented, ranted, and bitched about a couple of my co-workers, A and K.

I haven't updated in a bit because I was afraid that if I did, things would change back to the way they were.

I am thrilled to report that as of a couple of months ago K has been amazing with me. One night, we had a very long chat on the phone and came to an understanding about each other. Seems that we were having some mis-communications. Through talking about it and discussing communication methods, we resolved many of our mis-communications. Since that time, things have been great with us at work. Now, a couple of months later, I know how she expects things to be done, and things that I can do to make her life easier (she's a lawyer, I'm the assistant).

A is another story. She has had a 'hate-on' for me since the day she started. From the time she started as assistant, I went from working a few hours a week filing, to more responsible work, to full time, and now to Cheryl's assistant (a very good job). I have had discussions with other people about her and our lack of relationship. She's jealous of me. She is superior to me because she went to college to become an assistant. She's getting married. She's not in recovery....it goes on and on. The bottom line - she treated me like crap. If I asked her what time it was, she would tell me to look it up or figure it out myself. Don't even get me started on the fact that I have a laptop and can work at home (I begged to work at home...who does that???). I always describe her to other people as the exact opposite of teamwork.

At the end of Oct., she took the last week as a vacation week. During that week, she got sick and ended up taking the following week of because she was still sick. To make a long story short, while she was gone for those 2 weeks, I handled everything that needed to be done. I served/filed court documents, and did both of our jobs. I worked every night from home after my day at the office, and worked weekends. I didn't complain, it needed to be done.

Since she has been back now, it's like she's a different person. She's actually nice to me. We joke. She has explained things to me. Today, she asked me about my divorce, my case, and offered to help me with it. Wow! I don't know if this is going to last, as she has been nice the odd time before. I hope it does. Perhaps she has heard that I am staying as Cheryl's assistant when her friend, the other assistant, returns from maternity leave in a few weeks. I don't know why the 'change' occured. I don't care either. All I know is that now work is the way it should be in terms of teamwork. I love it. For now, I'm accepting it and enjoying it.

3 comments:

tweetey30 said...

That is great.. I hope it stays the same for you.. I know how you feel about being the odd person out.. I have had my share of misgivings in the last four months of working.

Some people just need a good swift kick in the butt to realize that others are the same or can do the same job with out schooling.. Glad to hear you are getting along better with the two ladies though. That makes work a lot easier to deal with..

Lisa said...

I'm glad to hear things have definitely picked up at work...it's tough working in an environment where others are constantly having a go at you.

Great stuff that those two ladies are treating you the way you deserve!

Tammi said...

Good news.
I try really hard to get along w/ all of my co-workers too,but sometimes ppl just act like they could give a rats a*** about getting along w/ everyone.
That sux if u ask me.
Glad to hear that you two got the lines of communication open now,by talking to each other one-on-one via Ma Bell.